Popular Posts

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

sit down, sit up, sit still

Today was my first meditation afternoon at the Shambhala Centre in Boulder. Every wednesday afternoon we have a meditation session with our special meditation teacher, its basically a 2 hour session that begins to prepare us for our 2 day sitting/meditation weekend. The meditation workshops and the eventual 2 day retreat have been on the top of my list of things to dread and fear for the past few months. With much anxious anticipation I walked down the street to the centre and meandered up the steps, not even wanting to go in. We were on the top floor, and it was a super humid day in Boulder so the air was a bit thick and although we were dressed with a minimalist approach, it was hot up there. The room was huge with a big stage adorned with statutes and candles all over it, with a smaller alter. The room was painted gold and red and there were little mats with cushions set up for each person in our group. There were a bunch of chairs in the back for people who are unable to sit on the floor for whatever reason, today I was one of those people due to some pelvis pain I have been dealing with. 


I thought we were going to walk in, sit down, be quiet for 2 hours and then leave and I was relieved when the teacher actually began to speak to us about meditation. He mumbled quite a bit, so much of it was lost in the space between him and the group, although I think that is part of his charm. He spoke to us for a while and then at the end we sat in silence for about 15 minutes. One piece of advice was to keep the eyes open and at eye level if possible, which automatically begins to correct the posture. I have to admit it was a bit odd, there we were a room full of nearly 50 adults, all sitting on the floor in silence staring into space for 15 minutes. Then the gong rang and it was time to come back to earth. The one thing I enjoyed about the meditation was the ability to let my mind roam and just notice what I was thinking about. There are few moments in my day where I sit down, stare off into space and just observe what happens, but now that I know how it works I might start trying it more and more. I started noticing what I think about, often times my seemingly random thoughts would all lead back to the same place, which seemed a bit strange to me. How can thinking about so many different items all lead back to the same place? At the end of our practice as our instructor chanted, we were instructed to dedicate any positivity that may have arose from our meditation practice to someone in our lives who needed that energy more than ourselves. I thought that was very noble, and then an idea dawned on me, 'what if everyone in the world did this practice once a week, sat for 2 hours, noticed their thoughts and then dedicated some good energy to another person in need, what would the world look like?!' 


As I was walking home I realized that we did get off a bit easy today, we got a good intro and some good tips on generating a meditation practice. I'm grateful that they didn't just throw us off the deep end and let us mentally torture ourselves right off the bat. Having said that, I feel like in a way I have faced one of my fears. However, I'm still pretty nervous about the meditation weekend, I'm hoping to make it through the 2 days, I'm not going to grill myself if I don't, but I'm hoping it doesn't come down to that.


One more thought that came from our instructor was

"This time we spend together will go by faster than you think, but there will be intense boredom. There are two types of boredom, hot and cold. Hot boredom is when you are so bored that you become agitated or frustrated, this will happen but eventually you will tire and the cool boredom will set in." 

xo

2 comments:

  1. I think you'll have a really great two days so you shouldn't worry too much. Don't be surprised if afterwards you find yourself devoting some time - not necessarily two hours, although that would be great - every day to your meditation practice. You'll be a new person if you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathryn,
    I know I have been laying on heavy with the comments and praise lately, but do forgive me as I am mainly trapped in AC with a nursing baby all day and I liked you from the get go. Remember how I first asked if you spell your name my favorite way? And you DO! And your mom DOES yell at you! LOL You are inspiring.
    A little background on me: I went directly out of high school in Massachusetts (my parents and I moved there in 2001 as they are militant vegetarians who blew up a meat factory and we had to flee) to Naropa University in Boulder, Co.
    Before I ever tried yoga, I took 'Shambhala Meditation Practicum' at Naropa with Bill Scheffel who is to this day "my teacher" (and writing teacher).
    I too started out sitting on a chair in the back, delighting in my roaming thoughts much as you described but struggling a great deal to sit still-ish for even 5 minutes!. We met twice a week and the postures we experimented varied a great deal along with our "homework" which included doing one activity blindfolded for an hour and reporting what we notice...I made popcorn and practiced some yoga, one of my friends when to a party!
    6 months later I was sitting on a zafu (round sitting cushion) or sometimes a gomden (square sitting cushion) for extended periods of time and finding great protection in the practice.
    I find the loose gaze which is signature to the Shambhala school of meditation to be quite grounding.

    Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche (the dude who brought a lot of Shambhala to the west) says not to worry if you have brilliant thoughts while sitting, the good stuff will still be there later.
    And as the monkey mind wanders, gently bring your attention back to the sensation of your breath, your belly or under your nose, and it forever wanders and you forever bring it back...in and out....Ah

    What I came to see was that sitting and watching the breath and feeling the tenderness of being human is a luxury. I did a 2 day retreat up at the Great Stupa and it was a blessing. It flew by, 2 days is nothing, my friends have all gone on 4 week dhatun's that INCLUDES a week of silence! In which walking home one night they started making animal noises...if we meet again remind me to imitate the giraffe sound that has been transmitted =)

    "You're perfect as you are. . . and you could use a little work" --Suzuki

    "The beginner in meditation/ Resembles a hunting dog/ Having a bad dream." -- Haiku by Trungpa Rinpoche

    ReplyDelete