Popular Posts

Friday, December 10, 2010

Favorite pose of the week! Scorpion

hey everyone,

A pose that I have been working on a lot these days is scorpion pose in handstand. Check out the video and then we will talk business...


If you have decided that after this seemingly effortless display of yogic brilliance (hahaha) you want to try this pose, but maybe haven't mastered the handstand part yet, here are a few tips.


  • Try to hold downward dog pose for 7-10min. A good friend once told me that if you could hold downward dog pose for 7-10min. you are ready to go upside down. After hearing this, I immediately tried to time myself and although I am extremely comfortable in a handstand, the exercise was super challenging. Take out the stop watch and give it a try.
  • One of my teachers Ron Reid has been saying for years, once you can hold handstand at the wall for 20-30 breaths, you might be ready to go into the middle of the room. Holding handstand at the wall is a great way to build up strength and get comfortable going upside down. Just kick up, get a friend to spot you, and try to take as many breaths as you can. If you feel pressure building in your face come down and rest in child's pose for a few breaths. Going slow at first can be a good thing with these new and challenging poses.
  • Do some quad stretches and lunges. Lunges begin to open up the front of the thighs which are tight in most people. When the front of the thighs begin to soften and release (I'm secretly still waiting for this to happen haha) backbends become easy and effortless, that is if you are integrated through the core, arms and legs. Make sure you lunge on both sides and then try to sit in virasana if it is comfortable on the knees. This will begin to open up the legs and the front of the pelvis, which are tight spots, especially if you sit in a chair for long periods of time.
Those are some tips for getting into scorpion. It has taken me a couple years of practice to get this far and I continue to practice almost every day. It probably won't happen over night (however if it does, you better credit my blog!!!) so take it slow and ease into it. Going upside down can be very therapeutic, but can also begin to stir the internal pot at the beginning. Let me know how it goes!

xo
kby

3 comments:

  1. I. LOVE. IT. bravo Kathryn! the descriptions were fantastic - clear and easy to follow. and it flowed...like yoga haha. btw the video is a great touch! see? you're a natural. now blog your face off! +sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so timing myself tomorrow morning in downward dog! LOVE your blog!!!!

    Elly

    ReplyDelete